After passing class 12, the major issue faced by the students is how to choose the right college. The situation is even trickier for those wishing to pursue higher studies in hotel management. There is no dearth of government and private universities conducting hotel management courses. Each has its merits, value, and reputation. The stream is related to practical knowledge. Therefore, one should select a college that emphasizes providing internship and on-job training.
Things to Consider while Choosing a Hotel Management College
What are the factors that students should consider? Some consider the placement history of the hotel management training institute. On the other hand, some consider education quality, faculty, and reputation. Well, let’s have a quick look at the key factors that help you determine which college would be ideal for you.
- Reputation – This is a crucial factor that should be taken care of while taking admission. Good results don’t indicate a good reputation. There are other factors too! Some facilities are known for academic excellence while some are known for extra curriculum.A college, for example, has been recognized for an excellent result. But the employees misbehave.You can’t just consider that as a good college.
- Academic performance – Academic performance is perhaps the most crucial considerable factor. Colleges rank depending on academic performance and a good curriculum. Check what rankings and awards the college has received for academic excellence. Also, check out the reviews of companies and guest faculties who have visited the college for placement.
- The ratio of students to faculties – It is recommended to check this ratio. This denotes how many students are allocated to each faculty. Colleges with a low and good student to faculty ratio is a better option.
- Location–In most cases, students prefer to attend a college close to their house. However, some have no preference regarding this as long as they are getting admission in their preferred institute. Colleges situated in remote areas should provide hostel facility. Nevertheless, many colleges have their hostel situated at a distance of even more than 5 km from the college campus.
- Affiliation – Your chosen college should be accredited by a government organization. Usually, colleges and universities in our country are accredited by NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council). NAAC accreditation is a plus point for any hotel management college. Top 10 hotel management institutes are accredited by NAAC.
- Campus recruitment–Getting a good placement is the ultimate goal for any student. Therefore, you should choose a college that has a good placement record. Check which companies typically visit the college for placement. Collaborations with big companies are another significant factor to consider while choosing a college. Colleges that have collaboration with different hotels and other companies belonging to the hospitality industry offer on-job training.
- Infrastructure – Facilities provided and infrastructure of the college are other important points to note. Hotel management education associates a practical approach. It has less to do with theoretical things. Choose an institution that provides practical training and internship to the students. A reputable college typically has many dining as well as kitchen facilities.
When it comes to choosing a hotel management college, a few things need to take care of. Affiliation, location, the ratio of student to faculty, placement record, and academic performance are some of them to check.